Saturday, May 22, 2010

Neela's 2nd LM Infection.. Or So We Thought...

May 22, 2010
Still at the hospital... hopefully going home today. Miss my Bart, my husband, and my six other amazing little people at home. Neela ended up doing worse over the last day...the area right next to her right ear was protruding and ever so slightly reddening. She was uncomfortable still with the pain meds, and 2 antibiotics. So, on Friday morning, Neela had a medical student, five resident doctors, and two fellows visit her that am. They were all concerned with the inflammation and swelling not responding to any of the IV meds they had put her on in the last 24 hours. The ENT resident that admitted her on Wednesday, stated "Umm... we definitely need to do something about that, I don't like the looks of that." I thought to myself, so much for getting out of here today... we are a long haul from that. A few hours later the ENT "fellow" doctor came in and said that he had been conversing with Dr. Smith, (since he was out of town) and came up with a plan that they needed to aspirate some this fluid in her top structure of her LM, that is giving her all of the probs. I was okay with that, until they told me that they would have her awake. My first instinct was, 'Neela won't even let me kiss her on that part of her face, little lone having a pretty good size gauge needle going in there.' I trusted the doctors decisions regardless. It was a pretty much a long afternoon since all of the ENTs were in surgery that day. In between time, my parents had been keeping Neela and I company with bringing me meals... magazines... toys for Neela... whatever we needed.. ( TY mom and dad we appreciated this so much) As I was eating my late lunch at 3 pm... I heard a strange but familiar voice outside the door... it was Bart. He came in to greet myself, my parents and of course his "little woman", as he calls her. He said that he needed to use the restroom out in the hallway and wanted me to show him where it was.. So I did, and to my surprise, in the waiting room by the restrooms there were my six long waited for, missed kids. I say its the other 'crew' to our ever so amazing ship. Our "ship" really doesn't sail without its crew... 'our family' is tightly bonded like glue. I could tell Clint wasn't the same, as to all of this unknown chaos. He missed his little sister and of course 'me'. I wouldn't have thought since I am with 'him' constantly. I figured he'd be like, finally that woman is gone, so we can do what we pretty much want. (Not gonna fly to well with Gram Judy watching him ) Clint was better by the end of our visit though. In this time, Neela's doctors were ready for her aspiration of her 'abscess' (is what they kept calling it)... The resident told me that Neela probably wasn't going to like being held down, and to feel the pressure from the needle. They did give her some numbing gel on the skin, so she wouldn't feel the poke so much. I handed Neela to the nurse and told her to 'take care of Neela for us'... :) We were all pretty much in agony waiting and not wanting to hear her scream. It was about five minutes and I heard one of the nurses say, "Hi.. Neela!" I quickly told Bart... she's done. Went back out into the hall, and saw she was okay, but had huge crocodile tears in her eyes. The doctors came up to us and told us that in the 'abscess' part of her top structure of her LM.. the fluid they drew up was pretty clear... and that they drew up 40 cc of brownish, blood tinged fluid out of her bottom structure LM in her neck. They preceded to tell me that it wasn't pus or greenish in anyway. Which was not a relief of me... I really wish it would have been, then they would have cultured it, and would have sensitized it to antibiotics to find the "exact" one to take care of all of this. The doctors told us that Neela's LM had been aggravated and inflamed, which caused all of the swelling and redness. They said they will still culture it, and keep her on antibiotics. They continued to say that she will be very uncomfortable until she is better, and there is nothing they can do for that, except continue with her every four hours pain med. Neela just needed 'time' to heal and get better. She needed to get home to her normal routine and get lots of sleep in her own bed. She has been a little trooper through all of this.. She is such a inspiration to me, myself and I. She is strong willed and probably will be her whole entire life. I am happy with her care with her doctors at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.... they are passionate and wonderful at what they do everyday. I am blessed that its only an hour and a half from my front door. God put us in northeastern Iowa for a reason and I think being this close is one of 'em. Please continue with your flowing prayers for Neela...as to her journey with her LM is not even close to being over. Her injections are kind of iffy right now, since she is on such a high dose of antibiotics for the healing and recovery of her structure... Please pray that things subside with all of this, and that she 'will' be able to keep that appointment for the ok-432 injection to take place. Thank You... for following "Our Faith... Our Family".... will keep you updated as needed. God Bless !
Thank you to my partner... Bart for enduring this emotional time with Neela and I being apart from you.. I know it must have been hard for you to cont to work, while we didn't know what was going to unravel with Neela's illness. We are the 'couple' that can get through this turmoil with our beloved and sweet baby girl... We are both getting strong physically, emotionally and last but not least spiritually. ;)
Thank you to those who brought over meals .. Thank You for my sweet, ever so faithful mother in law who is always there right when we need her... even if its just a matter of hours that she needs to be at our house to watch the kiddos. We can always count on her ! Love you Judy !
Thank you to my dear friend Kelly, our friendship still amazes me... thanks for staying and helping me through a night at the hospital with Neela... luv ya!
Thank you to my parents who drove to stay in Iowa City to comfort Neela and I, since we were alone. I love you guys and your continued support and encouragement that Neela is gonna be okay :)
Thanks to everyone.. our family, friends, coworkers, and church congregation, and pastor... praying and praying for Neela's start to this journey.... We love all of you !

No comments:

Post a Comment